FAQs: NHS Organisations

Complaints and concerns – the terminology we use

An issue that is being raised with an NHS organisation in line with the National Whistleblowing Standards is referred to as a whistleblowing concern. However, when that concern is brought to the Independent National Whistleblowing Officer, we refer to this as a complaint – it is a complaint about the way the NHS organisation has handled the concern. This terminology is in line with our legislation.

Updated: February 15, 2022