The Independent National Whistleblowing Officer (INWO) is currently working with NHS stakeholders on the implementation of the National Whistleblowing Standards in advance of the launch of the INWO service.
The start date of the INWO service will be confirmed in due course. While this had been planned for summer 2020, the current COVID-19 pandemic has caused understandable disruption to NHS services, and the Scottish Government therefore wrote to all boards on 30 March 2020 to confirm that the INWO implementation was one of the programmes of work they were pausing. We expect to announce a revised date for implementation soon.
This web page will be updated with detailed information about how to raise whistleblowing concern and how to submit it to the INWO in due course.
To ensure those wanting to raise concerns have access to all the information they need in relation to the National Whistleblowing Standards, and to assist NHS boards with implementation, the INWO team will operate an advice phone line from 1 November 2020. You can contact the team on:
Freephone: 0800 008 6112
Our advice team is available during the following hours:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9am-1pm
- Tuesday and Thursday 12noon-4pm
This service is open to all NHS providers, staff and members of the public.
The INWO team will be available to offer the following advice:
- Information on transitional arrangements, including signposting whistleblowers who need to raise concerns before 1 April 2021
- Support and advice on implementation of the National Whistleblowing Standards
- General enquiries from members of the public.